Tuesday 30 August 2011

Bucket List Part-1


It was very recently that my childhood mate and cousin Tulika got married to her sweet heart Aravind after holding their horses for over a year. Since she and I are of the same age, and she being a few months younger to me, I’ve been subjected to high matrimonial pressure over the past few weeks or so. The wedding festivities begin a week before the D day, and I, being a bridesmaid was in and around her place enjoying good food and ushering the guests who had come to meet her. Well, with Tulika already scaling a milestone of her adulthood, eyes were turned to me as I was growing older by the day and not making much significance to the world around me. So to most of my kith and kin, I, to put in terms of computer jargon ,was a process in the Ready Queue, waiting to be executed. A lot of them telepathically told me “You are next in line *giggle*” to which I telepathically replied “Dream on *maniac laughter*”. 
So the wedding was big hit with good food, handsome people walking around, and also the relief that I shall not be stalked into the topic of getting married anymore. That was when an aunt of mine came over and told that she’s got an excellent news for me and my first thoughts being, Tulika generously gave half of her gifts to her dear cousin-Me. Sadly, that wasn’t the case, and in fact it was horrendous news. Apparently she had found me a match, something she claimed to be made in heaven( yeah right!) and went on to give me elaborate explanations on how the guy in question was a distant relative of mine. Unable to convey the message that I wasn’t getting head or tail of whatever she was trying to tell me I stood there thinking what Prithviraj would be doing then, and I figured he’d be with his wife then. Damn it. So when she paused in to take a few breaths while fighting a losing battle trying to convince me that the guy is as hot as Prithviraj, I took advantage of the situation to tell her that marriage wasn’t in the cards, at least for a few years in a deep stern voice (I was getting irritated a hell lot). Her face fell. I could see her pupils constricting. 
“I’ve got a long way to go,and as of now I’ve reached nowhere” I said, thinking it was convincing enough.
It wasn’t. “Where do you want to go? You can always travel after marriage” she cut in.
A mammoth club came and hit the back of my head. Well, that was my imagination, but that’s exactly how I felt. I then went on to give her a boring speech on the journey called life where one must experience all that’s sweet and bitter preferably before getting settled down. 
“You girls are influenced by internet and books these days. I’ve met a lot of girls like you. They have all brought North Indian lads, and some even Americans, when there are many eligible Nair boys around. Don’t be one of them.”
I wanted to sit and explain to her that my parents are okay as long as it’s a guy I get married to, but to her luck she got a phone call and scurried to find another victim. If she had the time and mind, I could have given her lectures on what I wanted to do in the years to come and why I was procrastinating the whole holy matrimony thing. 
However since she wasn’t all ears to what I had to say, let me put this down here.
1. I do a course in engineering where I get to study of outdated 8085/8086 processors and various ancient computer languages. I cant imagine myself sitting in front of a computer typing stuff that appear Greek and Latin to me for the rest of my life. So I desperately need a career shit, and I’m still in the soul searching mode.
2. I want to travel and explore places, write about them, take pictures, and dream about my escapades later on in life. Top priority as of now is given to a trip to Vaishnodevi temple/Amarnath ,JK ; which is supposed to happen as soon as I’m done with the  engineering.
3. My significant other, better half, whatever you may call for a best friend ever, who is in Ahmedabad, thinks that I need to improve on my humanitarian side, so she insists that she and I should do something for the impoverished kids in Africa. Apparently she’s got a thing for SA, which is why she chose the African continent.
4. Since I agreed on a boring SA trip, I got her to agree on a Euro Trip, covering Netherlands, Barcelona ( Thank You Woody Allen), and UK. It will be an all fun and frolic trip and No helping kids there. 
5. I’m enamored by football these days thanks to an old friend who introduced me to the beautiful game. I’d want to watch a match at Old Trafford, preferably one played between United and Liverpool. GGMU!!
6. I want to meet two people in person, one being Sourav Ganguly and the other (no points for guessing) Prithviraj ;). I have huge crushes for them from the time I’ve reached puberty, and meeting them is a dream come 


Phew! The list of things I'd like to do before kicking the bucket( here getting married) is never ending, but these are the first few that popped in. Maybe another post with lot more of my idiosyncrasies...

1 comment: