Wednesday 10 August 2011

That four letter word called Love.


Love is this emotion of strong affection felt by a person for another person. 
“at the touch of love ,everyone becomes a poet”- plato. Well I’m pleased to say that I have proved this great scholar wrong( everyone clap) as I still suck at poetry as I always have. 
“when love struck every girl is like a cat, who stealthily finishes off a plate of milk” – Kaithapram Damodaran Namboothiri. Well, this is yet to be proved, scientists are frantically trying to come up with a break through.  
 From time immemorial people from different walks of life have gone over and about and has many a times ran short of words to describe that strong emotion. It often leaves me in a confused state of affairs when my friends blabber phrases like “love struck” , “heart broke/broken heart”, “I have a crush on him/her”, “love is blind” and many more.
The term love struck, forces me to picture a scenario where a bolt of fluorescent colored four letter word “love” travels from outer space and hits on a  person  and he/she falls unconscious thanks to the extreme velocity. And when they gain back their consciousness, they are in love, and they find beauty in everything and anything and life is so blissful and everything is uber perfect so on and so forth.
Once a friend of mine came over to me and told me that she is heart broken, with eyes welled up and cheeks crimsoned. The rationalist in me would have dialled for medicos but, seeing her plight I figured it was a matter of emotional fatigue rather than any myocardial infraction like I feared. I tried consoling her by buying her an ice cream to which she showed great disrespect by declining it and hence I helped myself with amazing chocolate flavored iced cream. And in order to shut her up I has to finally hit the “heart breaker” with verbal abuses and asserting that there are plenty of fish in the sea and once she and I should go scuba diving to spot them. Sick jokes work on terribly hurt people. Trust me. 
once, my best friend and I were sitting in class listening to boring lectures on quantum mechanics when she whispered to me that she has a “crush” on the 4th guy sitting on the 3rd row. With much difficulty I spotted this chap and wondering what offence that mouse faced guy had done for her to feel like crushing and trampling him to oblivion. I pitied on his fate as she had a big bro who was a kickboxing champ who could break every bone with a single blow. It was later on I understood that she had “romantic” feelings for him when she turned green with jealousy when he was spotted with another girl and told me that she really felt like crushing him.
So what leaves me in a state of perplexes are those terms we associate love with. It can be often misleading and downright hilarious when we look at them in the literal sense. Connecting love with heart is absolute nonsense as; it has got nothing to do with love except that it beats at a faster rate on sighting the person you are in love with. A “broken heart” would absolutely mean that the circulatory system has shut down, which leads to the termination of life. But people still do live with a broken heart which is magical and breaks all laws of medical sciences. Amazing right, this Lowe is. So technically, according to neurochemistry, love happens due to the combined action of pheromones, oxytocin, vasopressin and a lot more of chemicals in adequate levels. Its basically the brain that makes you fall in and out of love and one should aptly say that he/she is “cerebrum broken” when their love is lost forever and when they are in a state of despair. Makes sense right? 

1 comment: